trav·els (trăv'uls)- v.intr. - To go from one place to another, as on a trip. Ki·la - (kE-la)- n. slang - A word deriving from south Texas meaning Tia Kelly.

2.04.2006

Eating Sushi and Riding on a Harley

Well it is official, I have now ridden on a Harley Davidson and I did it sans helmet, against my better judgment. I was out with a friend and after our sushi dinner he insisted that I ride on his new bike that he had just gotten out of the shop... Once upon a time in Mexico I wrecked on a motorcycle and although I had always loved them (long story) and prayed to the church of the Kawasaki I promised myself I would never ride again. It wasn't so much the speed we were going or the donkey we hit and killed or that it happened on a dark road in the middle of nowhere, Mexico, it was the idea that had we taken a spill, which we didn't, I probably would have been in a bad way. Forward 18 years later... I rode another one and once again in a foreign country or rather in Guatemala. It was because I was very tired and hiking in the mountains and I figured I would rather wreck on a motorcycle, which I didn't, than walk at 10, 000 elevation. My thighs still hurt when I think about how nervous I was riding that day. Now I have been baptized, I have made it to the Harley level, and I have to admit I liked it. I liked watching the shadows it cast on the sides of buildings and on the road as I passed street lamps. I liked the black on black leather flames on the leather seat. I thought about Easy Rider, Motorcycle Diaries and Neil Young's song Unknown Legend - the steel and chrome she rides colliding with the very air she breaths. I thought about rallies and girls in chaps and Sturgis and beer and tattoos... My friend told me it was vintage and that everything 30 years and older is considered so, I guess that makes me vintage too. So when do I get to go on another ride.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home