trav·els (trăv'uls)- v.intr. - To go from one place to another, as on a trip. Ki·la - (kE-la)- n. slang - A word deriving from south Texas meaning Tia Kelly.

7.02.2005

I made it to Guatemala

I made it to Guatemala yesterday, flying through San Salvador. We decided to go straight to the village that Norm lives in vs. Antigua. We are heading that way very soon, probably >Monday. THis morning he showed me all the work the Long Way Home Foundation (TLWHF) has done, and we walked down to the natural springs. It was beautiful and very soon after our arrival a group of women carrying fresas on their heads came down in the opposite direction. We bought fresh strawberries (I took off my scarf to carry them) to make liquados and then went home to eat our breakfast/lunch of eggs and tortillas. After that, we sat in hammock and listened to Paul Simon and caught up with eachother. Norm then cut some lettuce from his garden and we started our adventure into town. We stopped by the local weavers and I was able to take some fotos of all the beautiful yarns and old wooden looms. I tried to take a movie but my camera would not cooperate, so I settled for some action shots. We gave them some lettuce and went on into town to buy vegetables, fruits, jam and run a few other errands including dropping off Norm´s (MATEO) machette to be sharpned. Just so you know I am out in the middle of nowhere where the women dress in traditional Mayan garb and everybody is simply beautiful and beautiful in their simplicity. After seeing all the work Norm has done I pledged to furnish the rooms that the interns will be staying in in the fall. That is why we are heading to Antigua, to buy beds and some paint, to fix up the cinder block houses on the land. I hope to have photos up soon of what they have done and the work we will be doing. If anyone is interrested in making a donation e-mail me (TLWHF has it´s non-profit status now and a recipt can be sent for dontaions). I was moved when I saw the work and what had actually been accomplished here. All is well even the afternoon showers were used as an excuse to stop and have ice cream.

MORE LATER...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home