trav·els (trăv'uls)- v.intr. - To go from one place to another, as on a trip. Ki·la - (kE-la)- n. slang - A word deriving from south Texas meaning Tia Kelly.

3.14.2005

Sydney Day # 4

I have been in Sydney going on 4 days. I have been to a Jewish Wedding, seen the sights... Some of them (harbour bridge, Sydney Opera House, etc...) and learned a thing or two about how people think of Americans. After about a day and a half I finally learned to walk to the the left side of the car as a passenger. I constantly went to the right side and found myself standing with Irene on the drivers side. This became a bit of a joke to us. I decided to just pretend in my head I was driving and go to that side.

I attended a Jewish Wedding and reception at the oldest synagogue in Sydney and then at the Four Seasons, respectively. We danced in concentric circles the men in one and the women in another, raised the newly-weds onto chairs, drank wine and ate and ate and ate. I thought the Salmon and couscous was the main meal only to discover there was still lamb, potatoes, salad, vegetables, 3 deserts and more. My goodness I would have never known. The main excitement was when the groom passed out under the huppa (spelling?) because of the heat. Not funny then but funny now... Have you ever seen a groom pass out at the alter? The ceiling was beautiful, dark navy with gold leaf stars. I almost lost flat Isabella here, she jumped out of my camera bag, but I realized she was missing and found her while the couple was off signing the Katuba (sp?).

I have been dubbed Irene's friend from Texas, which I don't mind too much, but then everyone says... George Bush right? and I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I passed some graffiti near the university that said USA = MURDERS and USA = LIES. That told me a little bit about how people feel. I try not to discuss this subject too much but I get asked a lot of questions about Jerry Springer, the Swan, the OC ect...

The weather has been very nice, so I hear, very hot and the first two days I found myself sweating all day long, they don't quite use the AC the way we do. The nights are cool and everyone has been very kind to me. Everyone I meet want's to give me their number and take me to see something, or meet me along the way.

Sunday was nice wandering through the Bondi Beach markets. I found so many wonderful things but decided to pass on them all since I am traveling in a backpack and well that could get really heavy if I don't watch out.


Quick lesson:

Pissed = drunk
Shits = being pissed or angry
Australians do not drink fosters.

I have to go find Irene she is sitting with her father at the coffee shop we sit at every morning, Irene does not move quite as fast as I do in the morning, but I am learning to appreciate that. We are off to the Sydney Museum to see a National Geographic Mummy exhibit and then to find some other adventures before we park it and watch the sun set. Tonight is my last night in Sydney, longer than I expected because Irene convinced me to stay longer that I had planned, but I am enjoying my time. I will be in Cairns soon and exploring the Great Barrier Reef.

Gotta go find my mate Irene.

I am having trouble posting my photos, I will keep trying.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying reading your stories; keep them coming! Chris K.

11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home